Saturday, November 22, 2008

I just woke up...

...in sunny Oakland California. Last night I spent the night watching M's neice, as well as a blind cat, and a wonderfully affectionate lab mix (Lila). For the first night in over two weeks M and I were able to share a bed, without the temperature being below 45 degrees. The only catch was that we were sharing it with the cat, the dog, and her neice. I felt like Dr. Dolittle being surrounded by licking, panting animals and a child with a very active imagination. Though she is only 3 1/2 McAlah is extremely articulate and a joy to be around. (As she just dropped my apple, which she proclaims is "ours", on the floor and remarked "wasn't that cool."
"Uh, yeah...that was awesome. You just bruised my apple! Huuuurrrrraaaaayyyyyy!!!!"

I ended up sleeping on the couch, or rather love seat, with my legs curled up. After a few hours of sleep, I was awoken by a refreshing blast of dog breath right to my face as Lila eagerly wagged her tail and begged to be let out. She is truly a great dog. OH!! Speaking of great dogs, I filled out an application last night to adopt a dog named Barney. He is a bordercollie burmese mountain dog mix. My DREAM breed. He is absolutely adorable, 2 years old? I hope things work out. Maybe I should wait a little while so that I can truly wander, as Bill Plotkin suggests. I think after breakfast I'll read a little more.

Ok, well wish me luck on my first full day being "Uncle Ben." I am creating the possibility of patience, playfulness, and discipline.

-B-

No comments: